Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Gift

There’s been a shift of climate in our home. It seems sudden. But looking back, it’s been a gradual, slow brewing, change. Sometimes, intense. Other times, calm. It’s been building steam for the past, oh, thirteen years. But today, it is official. We have a teenager in the house. 

With fond memories, I remember the labor and delivery nurse’s words as this child entered our world: “12:04, baby boy!” After experiencing three miscarriages, Zane Robert DeMent, was a precious gift from God. Although he has changed in many ways, height, weight, emotions…smells, one thing has remained constant. He is truly a gift. 

I watch him shoot hoops in his new shoes this morning. No longer a little boy but still, he calls me to look his way, “Mom, watch me dunk it!” Still wanting, longing for my attention. Glad I can offer praise this morning. Because, it seems like lately, all I offer are demands: Do your homework. Finish your project. Clean your room. Put away your laundry. PLEASE USE DEODORANT!

He makes his way over to me, and squeezes me tight. I say, “I love you, Zane,” “I love you more,” he returns. He may never know how wrong he is. 

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV.

No comments: