Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Most Valued Gift


Through a series of events, I found myself alone one Christmas morning. Though I say alone, self- pity and I were getting pretty cozy. By mid-morning, I began to tire of her company. Her vicious cycle of lies left me less than merry.
I dried my eyes, freshened up and left my apartment to visit my next door neighbors:  nursing home residents. 


I asked the lady at the front desk if I could spend time with those who weren't expecting visitors. I didn't come with a choir. I didn't have a song to sing or a poem to read. I came alone. She motioned toward their area.  They were clustered together. Some were slumped over in their wheel chairs. Others wore a blank gaze as if they were looking at a campfire. 


They may not have any visitors but at least they had each other. And now here I was--one of them. I felt a little awkward as I asked if I could join them. But they allowed me into their circle.  I sat. I listened. I questioned some of them about Christmas’ past. Those Christmas strangers smiled at me. Their joy at my presence was the most valued present I received that year.  

As we celebrate the birth of Jesus, I wonder. Will we allow him into our circle? Will we listen, question, smile? I encourage you to unwrap His Presence this Christmas. It will be His most valued gift.

1 comment:

James Rovira said...

I remember when we used to do this as a group. I love that you're doing it now, but am a little sad that you're going there alone...